Saturday, June 28, 2014

PET!

PET…or otherwise known as PE or Physical Education in America. PET is an acronym for Physical Education Training, or at least that’s what I thought the PET Instructor told me. Every standard gets PET at least once a week. Sometimes they have PET by themselves and sometimes it’s with another standard. The volunteers have the option to do PET and depending on the heat they usually pick it. It brings variety and fun to the education schedule, and there are so many fun games that they play.

Some of my favorites include “Dog and Bone”, “Below the Knee”, and “Catch”. In “Dog and Bone” there are two teams that are standing in a horizontal line facing each other. There is a considerable distance between them with a ball in the middle. Each player is given a number and when your number is called you run up to the ball and have to make a couple of rotations around it. Once you make a couple of rotations, you ultimately either want to grab the ball and get back to your side without being caught or if the other player grabs the ball you want to catch them before they get to their side. I’m not going to brag or anything, but my team has won every time, so far.

In “Below the Knee”, there are two teams and it’s kinda like dodge ball. One team is in the middle of the circle having to dodge the ball below their knee and the other team is on the outskirts of the circle throwing the ball at players inside the circle below the knee. I’m awful at being inside the circle, partly because I am taller than all of the kids and partly because I always forget that I can move when the ball is thrown at me…whoops haha.

Lastly, “Catch” is played with primarily UKG. So they always make any game fun! They all stand in a circle and one person is in the center throwing the ball to someone in the circle. Once you catch the ball you go around the circle 2 times and the best part is the little UKG kids sing “Happy Birthday” to that person the whole time. It makes me crack up every time!

The other day at PET, the instructor told me how he is getting married the following week. Sadly, it is on the last day of the session and I am leaving for Delhi that night with my mom, so I can’t go. I love how inviting and welcoming people are. I met him only a few weeks ago and he wants me to celebrate at his wedding.


I love India. I love the people. I just love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment